This album chiefly contains the engraved portraits and autographs of notable diplomats in the court of Queen Victoria, and others of Sylvain Van de Weyer's acquaintance. Many of the items are undated, therefore the date range of the album is taken from items which can be dated to a specific year.
Sans titreThis album contains the engraved portraits and autographs of 19th century Belgian politicians and others of Sylvain Van de Weyer's acquaintance. Many of the items are undated, therefore the date range of the album is taken from items which can be dated to a specific year.
This album contains the engraved portraits and autographs of notable 19th century Belgians of Sylvain Van de Weyer's acquaintance. Many of the items are undated, therefore the date range of the album is taken from items which can be dated to a specific year.
Many of the items are undated, therefore the date range of the album is taken from items which can be dated to a specific year.
This album contains the engraved portraits and autographs of chiefly of British aristocratic and political figures from the 19th century. Many of the items are undated, therefore the date range of the album is taken from items which can be dated to a specific year.
This album consists of notable 19th century figures. Many of the items are undated, therefore the date range of the album is taken from items which can be dated to a specific year.
This album contains documents relating to French history from the 15th to 19th centuries, portrait prints and letters relating to American history, autographs of British notables (such as William Wilberforce) and one clipping from a 17th century dutch engraving.
Sans titreThe College's Foundation Charter of 1542 laid down that Lord Audley and his heirs should write the statutes to cover the governance of the College. Lord Audley died in 1544 and as nothing had been achieved he wrote in his will that his executors should draw up the statutes. His executors were Lady Elizabeth Audley, Edward Lord North, Sir Thomas Pope, Thomas Barber, and Edmund Martyn and they delivered the statutes on 10 February 1555.
In 1565 the foundation statutes were corrected and additions made. This was done on the original statutes rather than on a separate clean document. They were sent to the Master and Fellows by the then Visitor, Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk on 24 January 1565.
The 1565 Latin statutes were not superseded until a new set was written in 1860. Since then there have been revisions in 1882, 1926, 1957 and 1997.
The earliest University statutes were probably devised piece-meal, but complete bodies of statutes were imposed on the University from the time of Edward VI. The most durable were those given by Queen Elizabeth in 1570, which remained in force until the 1850s. From the 16th century any statute drawn up by the University itself has been subject to confirmation or enforcement by the crown. The precise manner in which the statutes are to be observed was anciently laid down in a series of interpretations by the Vice-Chancellor and Heads of Houses; since the mid 19th century it has been embodied in printed ordinances.
From 1781 to 1971 there was a series of Order Books which contained a record of the 'Order' of the Governing Body. They were written during the Governing Body Meetings and signed by the Fellows at the end of the meeting.
From 1911 onwards a separate series of Minute Books was kept to record discussions and decisions of the Governing Body.
At a meeting on 18 February 1971 the Governing Body agreed that extracts from the Minutes would no longer be pasted into the Order Books. They were then used to record the appointment of Fellows, Honorary Fellows, Masters, and Scholars.
For the previous Order Book containing appointments from 1971-1979 see MCGB/4/2/3.
Offprints and articles concerning Pepys and the Pepys Library. Known formerly as the "Pepys Library Files".
Offprints and articles concerning Pepys and the Pepys Library bound into albums. Formerly known as the 'Miscellaneous Pamphlets' volumes.
25 and 26 Bridge Street were formerly known as 'The Barley Mow'. They were bought by Magdalene College in 1983.
Two letters from Penrose and 11 plans for a proposed new building linking First Court with the Pepys Building (roughly where the Bright's building is now). The plans were never realised.
Buttery Books were kept by the Butler and recorded the weekly totals spent by each member of College on sizings (food bought from the buttery in addition to their commons). The volumes list the members of College in order of seniority followed by a total amount spent. This amount was then entered into the Steward's Books [see MCAD/14/1/1/1-122] under the heading 'But'.
At the bottom of each page are totals for:
pane, potu, incre, poore and prom and a separate entry for gate fines.
From the volume which starts in 1730 [MCAD/14/2/1/17 1730-1736] there is a separate entry for Gate Fines at the bottom of each page.
From the volume which starts in 1798 [MCAD/14/2/1/30 1798-1803] additional entries are made at the bottom of the pages for items including gardeners, poundage on beer, rats, carpenters, workmen, glaziers, whitesmith, laundress, bread and beer on Christmas Day and Whit Sunday, bricklayers, and painters.
Weekly Butler’s Accounts (1913-1920) and weekly Steward’s Accounts (1916-1920)
Butler’s Accounts, Lent term 1913 – Long Vacation 1920
List of Fellows and students in the first column; then amounts entered under the following headings: Port, Sherries, Burgundies, Clarets, Champagnes, Hocks, Moselles, Spirits, Beer, Minerals [ginger beer, soda, lemons, ginger ale], Cigars, Cigarettes, Sundries. Less detail is given from Michaelmas 1915.
From Easter 1916 – Long Vacation 1920 as well as the Butler’s accounts there are also Steward’s Accounts. These give a list of Fellows and students, then amounts entered under the following headings:
Bread, Butter, Cheese, Gate fines, Bicycles, Baths, University Bills, College Dues.
At the back of the volume are Accounts for Lectures for Michaelmas Term 1927-Long Vacation 1929 listing subjects in the first column with amounts entered under names which are listed in the top row.
These volumes are a daily record of what alcohol and tobacco were bought in the Buttery. Volumes 1-4 look the same and are arranged in the same way with the names and amount owed being listed under the type of drink. Volumes 5-11 look different and are set out inside in a different way (in a table) although they contain the same information.
The Stewards' books contain weekly accounts for members of College. Each volume contains a list of members of the College in order of seniority - Master and Fellows, Fellow Commoners, scholars, and sizars. Next to each name is the amount owed.
At various dates different payments are included. In the College Order Book [MCGB/4/2/1] it states that the items of catechist, utensils, cook, candles and lamps, and scavenger which had been omitted since 1783 should again be included in the Steward's Book.
Founded in 1828.
Distributed finances to the College clubs and societies. Originally covered the finances of the College Boat, Cricket, Athletics, Rugby Union and Association Football, Hockey, and Lawn Tennis Clubs. Later the College Magazine and Reading Room were also included.
The Committee consisted of a Permanent Treasurer, an Honorary Secretary, with Assistant Secretary if necessary, and the Captain and Secretaries of the various clubs.
The Kingsley Club was founded as a literary club under the patronage of A.C. Benson in 1906. It was named after Charles Kingsley the novelist who had been an undergraduate at Magdalene from 1838-1842. It's declared object was 'the reading and discussion of papers dealing with literary, artistic and kindred subjects'. The club lapsed with the outbreak of the First World War and was re-established by Francis Turner in 1925. It foundered again with the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 and was revived again by Turner in 1948 and enjoyed a more or less unbroken existence until Lent Term 1991. Membership was restricted and was by invitation. It was seen as 'the premier gathering of student intellectuals'.
Initially Minute Books listed the names of those present at meetings and the title of the paper given but soon became more of a summary of the paper and subsequent discussion. Amongst the Secretaries were George Mallory, Sir Michael Redgrave, and John Simpson.
In existence between 1919 and 1925.
This club was founded in 1862 although there were packs kept in Cambridge before this date which were the fore runners of the club.
In 1862 R. G. Hoare (Trinity College) brought his private pack of beagles to Cambridge and in 1867 W. E. Currey (Trinity College, Tutor) brought his beagles over from his home in Ireland. These two packs established beagling firmly in Cambridge.
According to The Trinity Foot Beagles 1862 – 1912 by F. Claude Kempson published in 1912 the Trinity Foot Beagles were a subscription pack managed by undergraduates and hunted in the countryside around Cambridge. There was no formal constitution, no committee, nor any meeting of the subscribers, nor a balance-sheet, nor any positive connection with Trinity College, although traditionally there are strong links with both Trinity and Magdalene Colleges. Any member of the University was welcome to join in as long as he paid a subscription.
Kempson credits William Edward Currey (Trinity College) as being the founder and Rowland Hunt (Magdalene College) as being co-founder.